New York Cheesecake with Shortbread Crust
“Light, creamy and smooth, this traditional New York cheesecake will melt in your mouth. I rely on a tender change-of-pace shortbread crust instead of graham cracker crust. This recipe takes time, but it’s not difficult, and the result is well worth the effort.” —Karen Nielson, St. George, Utah
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 packages cream cheese 8 ounces each, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 5 large eggs room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg yolks room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups, divided fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries or boysenberries
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Wrap foil securely around pan. Place on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar and lemon zest; cut in butter until crumbly. Add egg yolks and vanilla, tossing with a fork until mixture pulls together.
- Press onto bottom and 1-1/2 in. up sides of prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned, 12-16 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in cream, flour, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Add eggs and egg yolks; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into crust. Place springform pan in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake until centre is just set and top appears dull, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove foil. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight, covering when completely cooled. Remove rim of pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add cranberry and lemon juices. Stir in 1 cup raspberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter.
- Strain sauce; discard seeds. Cool to room temperature. Stir in the blueberries, blackberries and remaining raspberries. Serve with cheesecake.
1 piece: 494 calories, 36g fat (21g saturated fat), 200mg cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fibre), 8g protein.