Number of servings : Makes 24 muffins.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
6 ounces marzipan paste, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1⁄3 cup butter, softened
3⁄4 cup buttermilk
1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 tablespoons almond liqueur
1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 large orange
Flaked almonds, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cases.
- Beat the marzipan, eggs, and butter with a wooden spoon until smooth. Gradually mix in the buttermilk, sugar, orange zest, and liqueur with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add marzipan mixture; stir until just combined.
- Peel the orange, removing the white pith. Segment the orange and cut the segments in half.
- Place 1 teaspoon of mixture in each muffin cup and place a halved orange segment on top. Add more mixture until cups are two-thirds full. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Place pans on a wire rack; let muffins cool completely.