Lemony Cream Cheese Bars
“Anytime I can take a recipe that has been handed down two generations and lighten it up while keeping the delicious flavour memories intact, I’m a happy girl.” —Patti Lavell, Islamorada, Florida
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|2dozen||15minutes||25minutes + cooling|
|25minutes + cooling|
- 1 pkg lemon cake mix regular size
- 1/2 cup egg substitute divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 8 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1/4 cup egg substitute and oil; mix until blended. Reserve 1/2 cup mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 11-13 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add remaining egg substitute; beat on low speed just until blended. Spread over crust. Crumble reserved topping over filling.
- Bake 11-13 minutes longer or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.
1 bar: 149 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fibre), 3g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.