Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
2 oz (60 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (50 mL) whipping (35%) cream
Cakes 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 oz (125 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup (50 mL) cake and pastry flour
1. To make centres: In double boiler or heatproof bowl set over pot of barely simmering water, melt 2 oz (60 g) chocolate with the cream, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Form into six balls; refrigerate until needed.
2. To make cakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease six 6-oz (175-g) ramekins or custard cups; place on baking sheet.
3. In double boiler or heatproof bowl set over pot of barely simmering water, melt butter and 4 oz (125 g) chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
4. With stand mixer or in large bowl with electric beaters, beat the whole eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until thick and light. Fold melted chocolate mixture and flour into egg mixture until just combined. Spoon cake batter into ramekins. Place a chocolate ball in the middle of each ramekin, making sure each is completely covered by batter.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes or until cakes are firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.