Juicy Lucy Burger with Tomato-Onion Jam and Charred Baby Gem Lettuce
The decadent Juicy Lucy burger is not for the faint of heart. Stuffed on the inside with oozing cheddar cheese, this burger does not mess around. Charring the baby gem lettuce is the secret technique to making this summery salad.
Photo: HelloFresh Canada
- 600 g ground beef
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 2 small red onions thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 heads baby gem lettuces
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 brioche buns
- canola oil as required
- Divide the ground beef into 4 portions and flatten each portion into a 6-inch wide circle. Divide the cheddar cheese between centres of each circle and fold up the edges around the cheese. Seal the meat around the cheese and lightly press into a 4-inch wide patty shape. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a pan, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook for 3-6 minutes per side, until cooked to desired doneness. (TIP: Inserting a thermometer into cooked meat should display an internal temperature of 160°F.) Don’t worry if some of the cheese leaks out, it’ll still taste delicious!
- Remove 2 outer leaves from each gem lettuce and set aside. Quarter the remaining lettuce lengthwise.
- Heat a large pan over high heat. Add the lettuce quarters to the dry pan, cut-side down, and cook for 1-2 minute, until charred. Turn to char on other cut-side, then remove from the pan.
- Core, seed and dice the tomato. Heat a drizzle of oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the red onion to the pan and cook, tossing for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add the diced tomato, sugar and half the balsamic vinegar to the pan.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the tomatoes breaks down and the sauce is thick and jammy. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Halve the buns and toast them in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. In a small bowl, whisk together half the mayo, remaining balsamic, a large drizzle of oil and as much minced garlic as you like.
- Layer the buns with burgers, tomato-onion jam and lettuce leaf. Spread with ketchup or mayo to taste. Serve with the charred romaine drizzled with balsamic dressing.