Italian Cream Cheese Cake
“Buttermilk makes every bite of this awesome Italian cream cheese cake recipe moist and flavourful. I rely on this recipe year-round.” —Joyce Lutz, Centerview, Missouri
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16servings||40minutes||20minutes + cooling|
|20minutes + cooling|
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs separated, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cream cheese frosting:
- 11 oz cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 6 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat until just combined. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Fold one-fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate.
1 slice: 736 calories, 41g fat (19g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (75g sugars, 2g fibre), 7g protein.