The combination of ground, fresh and crystallized ginger gives these delicious cupcakes a multi-layered flavour that lovers of ginger will find irresistible.
Number of servings : Makes 12 cupcakes.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 20 Minutes
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Pinch of ground cloves
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 egg whites
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 piece (2-inch) fresh gingerroot
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift flour, ginger, mustard, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves into a bowl.
- Place sugar, molasses, and oil in a large bowl and beat until well combined. Beat in egg whites one at a time until light and well blended.
- Fold the flour mixture and buttermilk into the sugar mixture alternately, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Spoon into lined cups. Bake 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a cake comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely.
- Peel the fresh ginger and grate finely. Squeeze to extract the juice and measure 2 teaspoons. Combine icing sugar and ginger juice in a bowl to make a glaze. Add a little water if necessary. Spread glaze over the tops of the cupcakes and sprinkle with crystallized ginger.