Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
3 cups Red Prince apples, cored, peeled and finely diced
3 tbsp salted butter
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 of a lemon, juiced
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate melting wafers
24 Karat gold leaf or edible gold dust
1. In a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat melt butter and sugar. Once melted, reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Let cook until the sugar caramelizes and turns golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Immediately add diced Red Prince apples, lemon juice and cinnamon. Continue cooking for 20 minutes until most of the apples have cooked down and appear translucent.
2. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and blend to form a smooth paste. Place into fridge or freezer for 1/2 hr or until cold enough to handle.
3. Using your hands, roll 1 tsp (5 ml) caramel apple filling into a ball then place on a parchment lined baking sheet or tray. Continue rolling with remaining filling and then place apple balls back into freezer for approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Using 2 forks or a dipping tool, gently roll 1 apple ball into chocolate and remove while tapping against bowl to drain excess chocolate. Place truffle back onto baking sheet and repeat steps with remaining apple balls.
5. Place truffles into fridge to set, about 1/2 hr. Brush tops with gold leaf or gold dust to finish.
Makes 18 to 20 truffles.
Chef Tip: truffles will keep refrigerated for up to a week.