Fluffy Banana Pancakes
“I love to make pancakes for my family on Saturday mornings. Since we often have ripe bananas, I decided to add them to a batch of pancake batter. The results were delicious!” —Lori Stevens, Riverton, Utah
Taste of Home
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe medium banana finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in banana and walnuts.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray. Cook until bubbles begin to form on top and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a freezer container. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven 5-10 minutes. Or place 2 pancakes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 40-50 seconds or until heated through.
Test Kitchen Variations
- Fluffy Strawberry Pancakes: Replace chopped bananas with 3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries; proceed as directed.
- Fluffy Peach Pancakes: Replace chopped bananas with 3/4 cup chopped fresh or frozen peaches; proceed as directed.
- Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes: Replace chopped bananas with 3/4 cup chopped fresh or frozen blueberries; proceed as directed.
2 pancakes: 283 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fibre), 9g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.