Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Side Dishes | Side Dishes Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Side Dishes | Side Dishes
Special diet :
30 ml (2 tbsp) coarse sea salt
450 g (1 lb) eggplant, sliced 1/2-cm (1/4-in.) thick
500 ml (2 cups) homemade or commercial tomato sauce
75 ml (1/3 cup) bread crumbs
250 ml (1 cup) Mozzarina cheese, grated or diced
60 ml (1/4 cup) Caciocavallo cheese, grated
Parmesan cheese, grated to taste
fresh basil, snipped to taste
- Salt eggplant slices and let them sweat for 30 minutes on paper towels.
- Wipe salt off with a damp cloth. Dry carefully with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Brush two baking sheets with olive oil. Arrange eggplant slices on baking sheets. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- Spread one-quarter of the tomato sauce in the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
- Cover with a layer of eggplant slices, overlapping if necessary. Pour some tomato sauce over the eggplant.
- Sprinkle with some bread crumbs. Mix together the Mozzarina and Caciocavallo cheeses, and sprinkle over the dish.
- Repeat the process (eggplant, sauce, crumbs, cheeses) until all ingredients are used up. Finish with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 30 minutes at 180°C / 350°F.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, remove foil and place the dish under the broiler. Watch carefully to prevent scorching.
- Serve hot garnished with snipped basil leaves.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2214