Devil’s Food Whoopie Pies
“These mini cookie cakes were one of my favourite treats while I was growing up in Pennsylvania. We called them gobs because they are gobs of fun to eat! The recipe can make fewer or more, depending on how large or small you make the cookies. Place the finished chocolate whoopie pies in large cupcake liners for a professional look.” —Pamela Esposito, Galloway, New Jersey
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|2dozen||30minutes||10minutes/batch + cooling|
|10minutes/batch + cooling|
- 1 package devil
- 1-14 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp baking cocoa
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3-3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until firm, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile for filling, in a small saucepan, whisk milk and flour until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening until blended. Gradually beat in cooled milk mixture. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled. Spread filling on bottoms of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Refrigerate leftovers.
1 whoopie pie: 249 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.