Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
“This is the ultimate creamy mac and cheese recipe. It’s saucy, thick and very rich, with wonderful cheddar flavour. Once you taste it, you’ll be hooked.” —Cindy Hartley, Chesapeake, Virginia
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 oz cubed Velveeta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add 1-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted, adding additional milk to reach desired consistency.
- Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
1 cup: 653 calories, 46g fat (30g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 1141mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.