Number of servings : 24
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
2 oz (60 g) unsweetened chocolate
1½ cups (375 mL) packed brown sugar
1 cup (250 mL) vegetable oil
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
2 cups (500 mL) coarsely grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
11/3 cup (325 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
4½ cups (1.125 L) icing sugar
1/4 cup (50 mL) whipping (35%) cream
2 drops red food colouring, or as desired
Cinnamon candy hearts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In double boiler or heatproof bowl set over pot of barely simmering water, melt chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Let cool slightly.
3. With stand mixer or in large bowl with electric beaters, beat eggs with brown sugar for about 5 minutes or until thickened and pale. Beat in oil and chocolate.
4. In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into egg mixture until just blended. Stir in zucchini. Divide batter among 24 paper-lined or greased muffin cups.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until fork or toothpick inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool in pans on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; let cool completely.
6. While cupcakes are cooling, with a stand mixer or in large bowl with electric beaters, beat butter until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, then beat in icing sugar until very smooth. Beat in cream and food colouring.
7. Pipe icing or spread with butter knife onto tops of completely cooled cupcakes; decorate with cinnamon candy hearts.