Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
250 ml (1 cup) sugar
8 amaretti (Italian almond cookies), crushed
60 g (2 oz) dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
30 ml (2 tbsp) espresso coffee, hot
750 ml (3 cups) 10% cream, heated
- In a small saucepan, dissolve half the sugar in 4 tbsp water. Cook to obtain a deep golden caramel.
- Pour the caramel into a 20 cm / 8” round flan pan.
- Wearing oven mitts, pick up the pan and rotate and tip it carefully to cover the bottom and sides with the caramel.
- Sprinkle the crushed amaretti over the bottom of the pan and press lightly to stick. Let cool on the counter. Butter the exposed parts of the dish.
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- Melt the chocolate in the coffee in the top of a double boiler. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and the remaining sugar. Stirring constantly, add the cream and the melted chocolate. Pour into the pan.
- Bake in a bain marie for 30 minutes* or until set. Allow to cool before refrigerating.
- At serving time, unmold carefully on a plate deep enough to catch the caramel.
* Cooking time for a flan is directly related to the temperature of the water in the bain-maire (water bath), which should be boiling when you pour it into the pan.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2176