Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry Meringue Roses
“Eat these pretty treats as is, or crush them into a bowl of strawberries and whipped cream. Readers of my blog, utry.it, went nuts when I posted that idea.” —Amy Tong, Anaheim, California
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 package strawberry gelatin (3 oz.)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips, melted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 225°.
- Place sugar and strawberries in a food processor; process until powdery. Add gelatin; pulse to blend.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy, adding vanilla if desired. Gradually add gelatin mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag; insert a #1M star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 2-in. roses 1-1/2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until set and dry, 40-45 minutes. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets.
- Remove meringues from paper. Dip bottoms in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set, about 45 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
1 cookie: 33 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.