Chocolate Chip-Cherry Chunk Cookies
“My grandmas and mom created this recipe with chocolate chips, cherries and spices, a combo of their favourite parts of different cookies. Then dad made ice cream to turn them into ice cream sandwiches. We’d eat these sandwiches in the summer heat, each bite cooling us as the ice cream melted down our arms.” —Wade Rouse, Fennville, Michigan.
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4dozen||30minutes||10minutes/batch + cooling|
|10minutes/batch + cooling|
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple flavouring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white baking chips
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, gradually adding sugars, until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in egg, vanilla and maple flavoring.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking cocoa, baking soda and salt. Gradually beat into creamed mixture just until moistened (do not overbeat). Stir in semisweet chocolate and white baking chips, dried cherries and coconut.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
1 cookie: 92 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.