Chicken Quinoa Salad
“We pile our favourite gyro fixin’s into nutritious quinoa bowls. Our local gyro guy has a cool but spicy sauce that transforms his sandwiches. It’s a must here, too.” —Leah Lyon, Ada, Oklahoma
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1-1/2 cups plus plus 2 tbsp water divided
- 3/4 cup quinoa rinsed
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1 medium cucumber seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp Greek seasoning
- 1 package ready-to-use grilled chicken breast strips 6 ounces
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- In a small saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
- For dressing, place remaining water, yogurt, mayonnaise, chili sauce and cheese in a small food processor or blender. Cover; process until blended.
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse cooked quinoa with cold water; drain well. In a bowl, toss quinoa with cucumber, parsley, green onions, oil, lemon juice and Greek seasoning. Top with chicken, tomato and dressing.
1 serving: 341 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fibre), 19g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 2 starch, 2 lean meat.