Chicken Merlot with Mushrooms
“Slow cooked and savory, this dish is perfect for any night of the week, and is sure to become a staple in your home.” —Shelli McWilliam of Salem, Oregon
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3/4 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup merlot
- 2 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta optional
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, broth, wine, tapioca, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with pasta if desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary.
5 ounces cooked chicken with 1/2 cup sauce: 310 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fibre), 35g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.