Cherry Hand Pies
“There’s nothing better than a sweet, from-scratch delight like traditional cherry pie. These precious little hand pies always go fast when I sell them at my pie bakery!” —Allison Cebulla, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||45minutes||25minutes + cooling|
|25minutes + cooling|
- 6 tbsp water divided
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cherry brandy
- 4-1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
- Dash salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries thawed and halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries thawed and halved
- pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 large egg
- 2-2/3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 to 4 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- freeze-dried strawberries crushed, optional
- In a large saucepan, whisk 4 tablespoons water, sugar, brandy, cornstarch, lemon juice, tapioca, lemon zest and salt until combined. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough to a 14x9-in. rectangle. Cut out eight 3-1/2 x 4-1/2-in. rectangles. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Transfer 8 rectangles to parchment-lined baking sheets; spoon about 3 tablespoons cherry mixture in center of each. Whisk egg and remaining 2 tablespoons water. Brush edges of crust with egg wash. Top with remaining 8 rectangles; press edges with a fork to seal. Brush tops with egg wash; cut slits in tops.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and slightly puffed, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine confectioners' sugar, hot water, melted butter, extracts and salt; drizzle over pies. Garnish with freeze-dried strawberries if desired. Let stand until set.
PASTRY FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE (9 INCHES):Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour to overnight.
1 pie: 589 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fibre), 6g protein.