Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres
Special diet :
125 ml (1/2 cup) butter
150 ml (2/3 cup flour
430 ml (1 3/4 cups) milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Grated nutmeg, to taste
250 ml (1 cup / 120 g) Asiago cheese, rind removed
3 egg whites
3 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 210°C / 425°F.
- Butter a 1 L(4 cup) soufflé dish.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, add the flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste, add the cheese and stir to combine. Allow to cool on the counter.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks until frothy and add to the cooled mixture.
- Fold the egg whites gently into the mixture. Pour into the soufflé dish and immediately place the dish in the oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C / 350°F and bake 30 minutes without opening the oven door.
- Serve from the oven directly to the table as soon as the soufflé has doubled in volume and the top is golden brown.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2566