Caribbean Shrimp & Rice Bowl
“I had a similar rice bowl on vacation and re-created this lighter version at home. It takes me back to the islands every time I make it. Try grilling the shrimp for more beachy flavour.” —Lauren Katz, Ashburn, Virginia
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1 medium ripe avocado peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained, 15 ounces
- 1 can unsweetened crushed pineapple undrained, 8 ounces
- 1 medium mango peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 package ready-to-serve brown rice 8.8 ounces
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp peeled and deveined, 31-40 per pound
- 1 tsp Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 green onions sliced
- lime wedges optional
- For avocado cream, mash avocado with sour cream and salt until smooth. In a small saucepan, combine beans, pineapple, mango and salsa; heat through, stirring occasionally. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Toss shrimp with jerk seasoning. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, 2-3 minutes.
- Divide rice and bean mixture among four bowls. Top with shrimp and green onions. Serve with avocado cream and, if desired, lime wedges.
1 serving: 498 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 9g fibre), 29g protein.