Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Breads and muffins | Breads and muffins
Special diet :
1 butternut squash (about 1-3/4 lbs / 875 g), peeled, seeded, cut into large chunks
1/2 cup (125 mL) flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) yellow cornmeal
2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
2-1/2 tsp (12 mL) baking powder
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) chili powder
3/4 tsp (3 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (125 mL) plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup (60 mL) fat-free milk
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-light olive oil
2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Place butternut squash on a baking pan, and roast until flesh is tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Transfer to large bowl and mash with a potato masher. Measure out 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) mashed squash (reserve any extra for another use). Let cool slightly.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, chili powder, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl. Stir in scallions.
- Spray a heavy, 10-inch ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, with nonstick cooking spray and place in oven to preheat.