Baba Au Rhum
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts Special diet : Ingredients
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
15 ml (1 tbsp) traditional active dry yeast
60 ml (1/4 cup) warm water
45 ml (3 tbsp) sugar
60 ml (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
30 ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
200 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
500 ml (2 cups) water
315 g (1 1/2 cups) sugar
20 ml (4 tsp) lemon juice
60 ml (1/4 cup) rum
- In a bowl, dissolve 1 tbsp. of the sugar in the warm water and stir in the yeast. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in another bowl, beat the eggs and the remaining sugar at medium-high speed for several minutes.
- Add the melted butter, vegetable oil and yeast mixture to the eggs. Add the flour and the salt.
- With a wooden spoon, beat the mixture vigorously for 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and well blended but still soft.
- Place the dough in greased individual baba moulds. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 45-50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/ 350°F.
- Bake the babas on the middle rack for 15 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. (Check for doneness with a toothpick.)
- While babas are baking, prepare the syrup. In a small saucepan, bring the water, sugar and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes. Add rhum.
- Cool the babas on a rack and remove from moulds. Prick all over with a toothpick or wooden skewer. Pour the hot syrup over the babas until they are completely soaked.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2345