Number of servings : 2
Cooking time: 15 to 18 minutes
Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres
Special diet :
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened to grease ramekins
1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs to dust ramekins
4 large egg whites
8 ounces prepared asparagus; peeled, blanched*
1 leek, white part only, roughly chopped
3 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese + 1 Tbs for dusting
3 large egg yolks
1 tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp lemon zest
1 stick unsalted butter (8Tbs)
Juice of 2 lemons
3 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using the softened butter and breadcrumbs, grease and coat each 7oz ramekin.
- Using a stand mixer beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Place the blanched asparagus and leek in a food processor and puree.
- Combine the egg yolks with the asparagus and leek mixture, Parmesan, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Fold in 1/3 of the egg white mixture to lighten the egg yolk mixture. Then gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the remaining egg whites.
- Fill the ramekins with the batter, wiping along the top edge. Bake for ~ 15-18 minutes until puffy and firm.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top of each soufflé.
- Break the top of each soufflé, and spoon in the warm Hollandaise Sauce. Serve immediately.
*To prepare the asparagus, peel the stems to remove the outer, stringier fibrous part. Place the asparagus in salted, boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove and place in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Roughly chop.
123 Hollandaise Sauce Preparation
- Combine the lemon juice and egg yolks.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Temper the egg yolks by adding the melted butter, a little at a time to the yolks, whisking constantly.
- When half the butter has been added combine the egg yolk-butter mixture with the rest of the melted butter in the saucepan. Stir over medium low heat until the sauce thickens, about 3- minutes.