Asparagus Hollandaise Puff
A rich pastry treat for special occasions.
Number of servings : 8
Cooking time: Ready in under 60 minutes
Type of meal : | Breakfasts/Brunches | Breakfasts/Brunches
Special diet :
1 cup (250 mL) cold water
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, cubed
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) white or black pepper
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
12 oz (375 g) fresh asparagus, trimmed to 4-inch (10-cm) length
3 oz (90 g) thinly sliced ham
3/4 cup (175 mL) grated Swiss cheese
3 egg yolks
1/4 tsp (1 mL) Dijon mustard
1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
1 dash hot sauce
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
1. For base: In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, salt and pepper to a boil over high heat. Add flour; using wooden spoon, vigorously stir until a smooth ball forms and dough comes away from sides of pan. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well with wooden spoon. Continue until mixture is smooth and shiny.
3. Spread dough over the bottom of a greased 10-inch (25-cm) round quiche or pie plate or 11 x 7-inch (13- x 37-cm) rectangular tart pan to form a shell. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
4. In medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook asparagus until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain. Arrange ham, then asparagus, on top of puff. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. For hollandaise sauce: In a blender, combine egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt. Cover and blend, around 15 seconds. In small saucepan at low heat, melt butter until hot and completely liquid. Set blender on high speed and with motor running, pour butter into egg yolk mixture in a thin stream. The mixture should thicken almost immediately. Set aside.
6. Broil puff until bubbly and golden, about 1 minute. Drizzle with hollandaise sauce. Serve immediately.