Carrot Cake Pancakes
“Here’s a way for fans of carrot cake to have their favourite dessert for breakfast. These delicate, decadent pancakes are drizzled with sweet and spicy maple syrup that complements the sour cream and nut topping.” —Leane Goering, Salem, Indiana
Photo: Taste of Home
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans toasted
- finely shredded carrots optional
- In a large bowl, combine the pancake mix, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in carrots.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a nonstick skillet or a greased hot griddle. Turn pancakes when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 2 minutes. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and milk. Serve pancakes with cream cheese mixture and half the syrup; sprinkle with nuts and, if desired, shredded carrots. Cover and refrigerate remaining syrup; save for another use.
2 pancakes: 388 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 673mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 4g fibre), 10g protein.