Number of servings : 16 slices
Type of meal : | Breads and muffins | Breads and muffins
Special diet :
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
3/4 cup (175 mL) yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup (125 mL) soy flour
1/4 cup (60 mL) fat-free dry milk
1 packet (1/4 oz / 7 g) rapid-rise yeast
1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-light olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) unsulphured molasses
1 large egg
1-1/4 cup (300 mL) very warm (120º to 130ºF / 48º to 50ºC) water
- Combine 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) of all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, corn-meal, soy flour, dry milk, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine oil, molasses, egg, and warm water in medium bowl. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Stir molasses mixture into flour mixture. Add remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour, stirring until combined.
- Transfer dough to floured work surface and knead dough until smooth, about 5 minutes. Spray large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Add dough, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Spray two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch (21 x 11 cm) loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Punch dough down. Divide in half, shape each piece into a loaf, and place in pans. Cover loaves with dampened tea towel and let rise in warm place until dough almost reaches top of pans, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Bake until loaves are golden brown, about 30 minutes. To check for doneness, remove loaves from pans and tap bottom of loaf; they should sound hollow when tapped. (Once cooled, loaves can be wrapped individually in foil and frozen. Reheat foil-wrapped frozen bread in 350ºF (180ºC) oven.