“My brother loves Rice Krispies squares, and my mom loves sugar cookies. I came up with a cute treat they’d both like.”
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16treats||45minutes||10minutes + cooling|
|10minutes + cooling|
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 7-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough 16-1/2 ounces
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp water
- 4 drops green food colouring
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Black paste food colouring
- vanilla frosting
- Brown decorating icing
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips melted
- Candy pumpkins
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in marshmallows until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in cereal until well coated. With a buttered spatula, press into a greased 13x9-in. pan. Cool.
- Beat cookie dough and flour until combined. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Using a 2-in. tombstone-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 16 tombstones from dough. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Along bottom edge of each cookie, insert 2 toothpicks halfway into dough. Bake at 350° until edges are golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Place water and green food colouring in a bowl. Add coconut; cover and shake or toss to coat. Toast coconut in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Using black paste food colouring, tint frosting grey. Frost sugar cookies; decorate with brown decorating icing.
- Cut cereal bars into 3x2-in. rectangles; spread with melted chocolate chips. Using toothpicks, insert cookies into cereal bars. Decorate with coconut and candies as desired.
1 treat: 358 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fibre), 4g protein.