Spiced Grilled Chicken with Cilantro Lime Butter
“This grilled chicken gets a lovely pop of colour and flavour from the lime butter—don’t skip it!” —Diane Halferty, Corpus Christi, Texas
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves 8 ounces each
- Cilantro Lime Butter:
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 serrano pepper finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Brush over chicken.
- Place chicken skin side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 15 minutes. Turn; grill 20-25 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the butter ingredients. Drizzle over chicken before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
- This recipe gives you a hint of classic mole flavour. Mole is a Mexican sauce that can be made in many ways, but includes the standout flavours of cumin, cinnamon and cocoa.
- Bone-in chicken will mean juicier, more flavorful chicken than using boneless chicken breasts.
- Shred leftover chicken and make chicken tacos for a quick follow-up meal later in the week.
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
1 chicken breast half with 1 tablespoon lime butter: 430 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 411mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fibre), 40g protein.