Slow-Cooked Stuffed Peppers
“My favourite kitchen appliance is the slow cooker, and I use mine more than anyone else I know. It does a great job with this good-for-you dish.” —Michelle Gurnsey, Lincoln, Nebraska
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 medium sweet red peppers
- 1 can black beans (15 oz.), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup uncooked converted long grain rice
- 1-1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- reduced-fat sour cream optional
- Cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. In a large bowl, mix beans, cheese, salsa, onion, corn, rice, chili powder and cumin; spoon into peppers. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Cook, covered, on low until peppers are tender and filling is heated through, 3-4 hours . If desired, serve with sour cream.
1 stuffed pepper: 317 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 565mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fibre), 15g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.