Slow-Cooked Pepper Steak
“After a long day working in our greenhouse raising bedding plants, I enjoy coming in to this hearty beef dish for supper. It’s one of my favourite meals.” — Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1-1/2 lbs beef top round steak
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes cut into wedges or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large green pepper cut into strips
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- hot cooked noodles or rice
- Cut beef into 3x1-in. strips. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, salt, ginger and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, for 5-6 hours. Add tomatoes and green pepper; cook on low until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour longer.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until thickened, 20-30 minutes. Serve with noodles or rice.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently. Add a little broth or water if necessary.
1 cup beef mixture: 232 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 639mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fibre), 28g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.