“A crisp green salad and crusty French bread complete this shrimp gumbo meal. I always have hot sauce available when I serve this and have found that the instant microwave rice packages make the process a little easier.” —Jo Ann Graham, Ovilla, Texas
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 carton chicken broth 32 ounces
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 lb uncooked large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 package frozen sliced okra 16 ounces
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp gumbo file powder
- hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir flour and oil until caramel-colored, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes (do not burn). Add the celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender, for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the broth, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, okra, green onions and tomato. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until shrimp turn pink, 10 minutes. Stir in file powder. Serve with rice.
Editor's Note: Gumbo file powder, used to thicken and flavour Creole recipes, is available in spice shops. If you don't want to use gumbo file powder, combine 2 tablespoons each cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into gumbo. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
1 cup: 159 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fibre), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.