Shredded Pork Burritos
“Pork roast is slow-cooked with savoury and sweet ingredients, including a can of cola, to create tender, shredded pork burritos. A tomatillo sauce, made easy with a dressing mix, tops the pork for an out-of-this-world entree.” —Katherine Nelson, Centerville, Utah
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Shredded Pork
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast 5 pounds
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar plus 1/2 cup, divided
- 4 tsp paprika divided
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can cola 12 ounces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Tomatillo Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tomatillos husks removed
- 3/4 cup Fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 Jalapeño pepper seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 16 flour tortillas 8 inches, room temperature
- Cut roast in half. Combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons paprika, pepper flakes, cumin and salt; rub over meat. Place in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the cola, broth, onion and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Set meat aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with 2 forks. Skim fat from cooking juices and return meat to slow cooker. Stir in remaining brown sugar and paprika. Cover and cook on low for 1 hour or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the mayonnaise, milk, tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeno, dressing mix, lime juice, garlic and cayenne. Cover and process until blended. Pour into a small bowl. Chill until serving.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon 1/2 cup filling off centre on each tortilla. Drizzle with some of the tomatillo sauce. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Serve with remaining sauce.
1 burrito: 370 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fibre), 24g protein.