Saucy Mac & Cheese
“I love the curly noodles in this creamy recipe. Cavatappi (aka cellentani pasta) has a corkscrew shape, but any type of spiral noodle will work. This dish is fun to make and looks so pretty topped with extra cheese and crunchy, golden panko. I like to add ground pepper to my serving.” —Sara Martin, Brookfield, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
- 2 cups cavatappi or spiral pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 pound Velveeta cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until golden brown. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat. Stir in Velveeta until melted.
- Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture. Cook and stir until heated through, 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
1-1/4 cups: 661 calories, 36g fat (21g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 1267mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fibre), 27g protein.