Portobello Ropa Vieja
“I created this version of a Mexican favourite for my family, using meaty portobello mushrooms to mimic meat. Serve with rice to round out the meal.” —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 jar sofrito tomato cooking base 12 ounces
- 1 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp lime juice divided
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 6 large portobello mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp adobo seasoning
- hot cooked rice
<h2Portobello Ropa Vieja Tips
How can I make this dish vegetarian?
To make this portobello ropa vieja vegetarian, make your own sofrito versus purchasing store-bought.
.667 cup: 253 calories, 15g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1449mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fibre), 10g protein.