Peppermint Lava Cakes
“It never ceases to amaze to see warm chocolate pudding ooze out of the center of this tender chocolate cake. These cakes are a showstopper on a plate! Serve lava cakes with whipped cream or ice cream.” —Carolyn Crotser, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp peppermint extraact
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter for 30 seconds; stir until smooth. Whisk in confectioners' sugar, eggs, egg yolks and extract until blended. Fold in flour.
- Transfer to four generously greased 4-oz. ramekins. Bake on a baking sheet until a thermometer reads 160° and edges of cakes are set, 14-16 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Run a knife around sides of ramekins; invert onto dessert plates. Sprinkle with crushed candies. Serve immediately.
Editor’s Note: You may substitute 3/4 teaspoon orange extract and 1-1/2 teaspoons orange peel mixed with 1 tablespoon coarse sugar for the peppermint extract and peppermint candies.