Mango Almond Icebox Cake
“This recipe was inspired by my friend who asked me to make a mango cake. It’s easy to prepare, refreshing, light, and tastes absolutely fantastic. Strawberries can be used as well.” —Rachel Simoneau, Danbury, Connecticut
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package frozen mango chunks 16 ounces, thawed
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 22 crisp ladyfinger cookies
- 1 package miniature meringue cookies 5 ounces, coarsely crushed
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- To crush meringue cookies, place in a large zip-top plastic bag and pound gently with a meat mallet.
- To get the smoothest whipped cream, beat on medium speed, not high.
- For a nuttier flavour and added crunch and colour, toast the almonds before using.
1 slice: 389 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fibre), 5g protein.