Lemon Pound Cake Loaves
“My family always asks for this love-me-tender lemon pound cake. Sometimes, I shake things up and make cupcakes with the batter. So awesome for brunch!” —Lola Baxter, Winnebago, Minnesota
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|2mini-loaves (6 slices each)||20minutes||35minutes|
|2mini-loaves (6 slices each)||20minutes|
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Portions: mini-loaves (6 slices each)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 5-3/4x3x2-in loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix icing ingredients. Spoon over loaves.
- Freeze option: Do not make icing. Securely wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature. Prepare icing as directed.
For large loaf: Prepare batter and bake in one greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Ice as directed. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
1 slice: 262 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.