Holiday Cutout Cookies
The only limit to these fun cutouts is your cookie cutter collection and your imagination! If you prefer crisp cookies, sprinkle with coloured sugar before baking and skip the frosting.
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Cutout Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 6 tbsp evaporated milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp half and half
- food colouring colour optional
- assorted sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough into four portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate, covered, overnight or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. holiday cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are lightly brown, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough cream to reach a spreading consistency. If desired, beat in food colouring. Frost and decorate cookies as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and decorate as desired.
1 cookie: 87 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published on Taste of Home.