Grilled Italian Sandwiches
Serving lunch for a family gathering? Here’s a fun recipe to grill for a crowd, which can be adjusted according to everyone’s favorite sandwich fillings.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper julienned
- 1 small green pepper julienned
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tbsp mustard prepared
- 2 tsp chives minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes crushed
- 1 loaf Italian bread unsliced
- 6 oz provolone cheese sliced
- 1/3 lb hard salami thinly sliced
- 6 oz cheddar cheese sliced
- 1/3 lb deli roast beef sliced
- In large skillet, sauté peppers in oil just until tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine butter, mustard, chives, garlic, and pepper flakes.
- Cut bread into 1/2-in. (1 cm) slices, leaving slices attached at the bottom. Cut loaf through the two centre slices, separating loaf into two halves.
- Cut off and discard end slices. Place each loaf on heavy-duty foil coated with cooking spray. Spread butter mixture between every other slice.
- Alongside buttered slices, insert cheese, meat, and peppers, using provolone cheese and salami in one loaf and cheddar cheese and roast beef in the other.
- Wrap each loaf tightly in foil; place on grill rack.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Using a serrated knife, separate sandwiches. Or, to bake sandwiches: Bake foil-wrapped loaves at 350°F (180°C) for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.