“A friend who’s an excellent cook shared this hamburger recipe with me, and it has since become a family favourite. The unusual combination of cola and French salad dressing added to the ground beef gives it fabulous flavour. The mixture is also used as a basting sauce on the moist burgers.” —Melva Baumer, Millmont, Pennsylvania
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cola divided
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines about 15
- 6 tbsp French salad dressing divided
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 lb ground beef
- 6 hamburger buns split
- Optional toppings:
- lettuce leaves
- sliced tomato
- sliced red onion, pickles and sliced cheese
- sliced cheese
- In a large bowl, combine egg, 1/4 cup cola, cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons salad dressing, Parmesan cheese and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six 3/4-in.-thick patties (mixture will be moist).
- In a small bowl, combine remaining cola and salad dressing; set aside.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Brush with cola mixture. Continue grilling to desired doneness, 6-8 minutes, brushing and turning occasionally. For medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°. Serve on buns. Serve burgers with optional toppings as desired.
Editor's Note: Diet cola is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts 1 burger: 461 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fibre), 29g protein.