Coconut Chicken and Shrimp
“I was looking for a fun, easy weeknight dinner based on our favourite shrimp dish that was healthier than fast food. This has become a favourite!” —Susan Seymour, Valatie, New York
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lime-flavoured seltzer water
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/4 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp 31-40 per pound, peeled and deveined
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts 6 ounces each, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Salt and pepper to taste optional
- MAUI MUSTARD:
- 1 can crushed pineapple 8 ounces, well drained
- 1/2 cup red pepper jelly
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients. In another shallow bowl, combine coconut and panko. Dip shrimp in batter to coat. Dip in coconut mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Repeat with chicken.
- In a deep cast-iron or electric skillet, heat oil to 350°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with chicken. If desired, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- For mustard, mix together pineapple, pepper jelly and stone-ground mustard. Combine shrimp and chicken; serve with Maui mustard.
Test Kitchen tips
- In the mood for just seafood? Skip the chicken and use more shrimp.
- Need a quick appetizer? Serve with toothpicks.
1 serving: 659 calories, 31g fat (14g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 735mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 4g fibre), 29g protein.