Christmas Cookie Stars
To make these double-decker beauties, you will need both large and small star-shaped cookie cutters.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp strawberry preserves
- coloured sprinkles for decorated, if desired
- In a small bowl, blend flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well mixed. Divide dough into 3 parts, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease several cookie sheets. On a floured surface, roll out one-third of the dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough with 2 3/4-inch star-shaped cookie cutter.
- Using 1 1/4-inch star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out centers of half of the larger stars. Sprinkle stars with cutouts with coloured sprinkles or sugar, if desired.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet, space about 1 inch apart. Bake 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of preserves in the centre of a star without a cutout. Place a star without a cutout on top, to create a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies. Pack in a covered tin to preserve freshness.