Chocolate Mud Cake
Chocolate lovers will go crazy over this cake. Not only does it have a chocolate glaze, but the hint of coffee in the recipe along with dark chocolate and fruit topping will make them run back for seconds.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 cups soft brown sugar lightly packed
- 1-1/2 cups strong black coffeee
- 8 oz butter
- 7 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 oz self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 cup blueberries to serve (optional)
- 1/2 cup raspberries to serve (optional)
- to serve whipping cream optional
- Chocolate Glaze
- 8 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup pouring cream
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F/Gas 2). Lightly grease a 23 cm (9 inch) cake tin and line the base and side with baking (parchment) paper.
- Combine sugar, coffee, butter and chocolate in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the ingredients are well combined. Do not allow to boil. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together the flours and cocoa into another bowl. Add the eggs to the cooled chocolate mixture and beat well, then stir in the flour mixture until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out almost clean. (As this is a very moist cake it will not set completely in the centre, but will firm up as it cools.) Cool in the pan.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and pour the hot cream over. Stir gently until chocolate is melted and mixture is glossy and smooth. Let stand for 20–30 minutes, or until spreadable.
- Spread the glaze smoothly over the top and side of the cake, then let stand for 10 minutes to set. Top with fresh fruit and serve with cream, if desired.