Chicken Parmesan With Spaghetti Squash
“I grow spaghetti squash and herbs in my garden every year, so this recipe is the perfect way to use them up.” —Kristina Krummel, Elkins, Arkansas
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves 6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar pasta sauce 14 ounces
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cup-for-cup, spaghetti squash is lower in carbs than white pasta, but it’s also higher in fibre and vitamin C.
Test Kitchen tips
- Change up this recipe by using Alfredo sauce instead of a tomato-based sauce.
- It's OK if the squash halves overlap while cooking in the microwave.
1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup squash and 1/2 cup sauce: 501 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 9g fibre), 43g protein.