Chicken Biscuit Skillet
“My mother always made this when we were growing up. Now I make it for my own husband and kids. I use the small biscuits because they brown up so nicely on top. I also add mushrooms to this recipe sometimes because my family loves ’em.” —Keri Boffeli, Monticello, Iowa
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can condensed chicken broth undiluted, 10-1/2 oz
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots thawed, about 10 oz
- 1 tube refrigerated buttermilk biscuits quartered, 12 oz
- Preheat oven to 400°. Melt butter in a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, broth, milk and pepper until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken and peas and carrots; heat through. Arrange biscuits over stew. Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
- This is a satisfying use for leftover chicken. During the holiday season it can easily be made with turkey.
- The biscuits are plentiful, making this a hearty dish that's perfect for chilly weather.
1 serving: 320 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 861mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fibre), 22g protein.