Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Cake
“Think slow cooker as a cake-maker for some seriously yummy dessert that is easy enough for Sunday brunch and tasty enough for Thanksgiving Day—and frees up oven space on holidays, too.” —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 extra large egg whites room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 15 oz pumpkin
- 1/2 cup caramel sundae syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, whisk together the next 5 ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin, beating well after each addition.
- Line a 5-qt. round slow cooker with heavy duty foil extending over sides; spray with cooking spray. Spread batter evenly into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 2 hours. To avoid scorching, rotate the slow-cooker insert one-half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts. Turn off slow cooker; let stand, uncovered, 10 minutes. Using foil, carefully lift cake out of slow cooker and invert onto a serving plate.
- Drizzle caramel syrup over cake; top with pecans. Serve warm.
Test Kitchen tips
- Top with homemade whipped cream or ice cream.
- For variety, try with canned, pureed sweet potato.
1 slice: 473 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.