Banana Bread Pudding
“When I visited my grandmother in summer, I always looked forward to the comforting banana bread pudding she’d make. With its crusty golden top, custard-like inside and smooth vanilla sauce, this pudding is a real homespun dessert. Now I make it for my grandchildren.” —Mary Detweiler, Middlefield, Ohio
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 cups cubed day-old French or sourdough bread 1-in. pieces
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sliced firm bananas 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the bread cubes in a greased 2-qt. casserole; pour butter over top and toss to coat. In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in bananas.
- Pour over bread cubes and stir to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Combine sugar and cornstarch; add to butter. Stir in milk and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a full boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in the vanilla. Serve warm sauce over warm pudding.
Banana Bread Pudding Tips
Do you refrigerate banana bread pudding?
Yes, you should refrigerate banana bread pudding. Because this is a traditional custard made with eggs and milk, leftovers should be covered with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerated.
What other toppings can you add to this recipe?
To switch up this recipe, drizzle on some caramel sauce or melted Nutella. You can also sprinkle servings with mini chocolate chips or toffee brickle pieces.
How can I vary this banana bread pudding recipe?
Create a double banana bread pudding by swapping out the French or sourdough bread with cubed pieces of banana bread! Before assembly, make sure you toast the banana bread cubes by baking them in a single layer on a baking sheet at 350°F until they are dry. Or try cinnamon-raisin banana bread pudding (made in a slow cooker!), tropical bread pudding or roasted banana bread pudding.
1 serving: 439 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fibre), 9g protein.