Apple and Brie Omelette
Start your day on a scrumptious note with this hot apple, cheese and egg breakfast omelette.
- 1/4 Granny Smith Apple peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1 oz brie cheese cut into 6 small cubes
- 1 tbsp pecans chopped
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp butter divided
- 1 tsp sugar
- to taste ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- Heat nonstick 8-inch (20 cm) ovenproof skillet* over medium heat. Melt 1 tsp (5 mL) butter in skillet. Sauté apple slices in butter until slightly transparent but not too soft, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with nutmeg and sugar. Remove from pan and keep warm. Beat together eggs and water. Heat same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Melt remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) butter in skillet. Pour in egg mixture. As mixture sets at edges, with spatula, gently push cooked portions towards the centre. Tilt and rotate the pan to allow uncooked egg to flow into the empty spaces. When egg is almost set on surface but still looks moist, cover half of the omelette with warm apple mixture and pecans.
- Slip spatula under the unfilled side and fold the omelette in half. Garnish with Brie cheese. Broil 1 to 2 minutes to melt cheese. Slide onto warm plate and serve immediately. If skillet is not ovenproof, wrap handle with double thickness of aluminum foil.
For a complete meal, serve with a glass of apple juice, a multi-grain toasted bagel, and mixed berries.