Veal Stew with Marsala
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 mesh bag, 300 g (10 oz) pearl onions, peeled
Butter, as required
Flour, as required
680 g (1½ lb) veal, cubed
250 ml (1 cup) Marsala
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
450 g (1 lb) buttercup squash, peeled and cubed
1 small bulb fennel, sliced thinly
1 can, 900 ml (32 oz) chicken stock
125 ml (½ cup) frozen green peas
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- In an ovenproof stewing pot or Dutch oven, brown the onions lightly in the butter and set aside in a bowl.
- Flour the veal cubes and shake to remove excess.
- In the same pot, brown one third of the veal well on all sides, adding a little butter, as required. Remove meat and set aside. Repeat until all the meat has been browned.
- Deglaze with the Marsala, scraping with a wooden spoon to dislodge the bits of meat stuck to the bottom.
- Add the onions, meat, squash, fennel and stock. Season to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and place in the oven. Bake about 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Check the level of liquid during the cooking time and add boiling water, if necessary.
- Remove from oven, add the peas, stir gently and serve.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2498